Old March 23rd 08, 11:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default East Putney station

In article ,
() wrote:

"Mizter T" wrote in message

The "Northern City line" in a large diameter tube that runs up to
Drayton Park has been in mainline railway ownership since it
transferred from LU to British Rail in 1975 or 76.

The Northern City Line is another story, however. I have seen
policemen operating as trains pull into Moorgate. I'm not saying
that the whole segment between Moorgate and Drayton Park is
equipped with stoparms, because I simply don't know, but I did see
them at Moorgate.

Is it possible that they simply left the policemen at Moorgate when
NR took over? It would be surprising to see them working after all
these years.

BR took over the GNC before TPWS was invented. Given what happened at
Moorgate immediately before BR took over there, it is somewhat
unsurprising that the dead end tunnel safety system introduced there,
known as Moorgate control, was retained for BR use. Nowadays they would
presumably be able to rely on standard TPWS and could scrap the tripcocks.
When the 313s on the GN come up for replacement (is there even a date
yet?) presumably they will consider updating the signalling at the Cross.

At least two SWT trains routinely run along that stretch late at
night/ early in the morning.

Revenue or non-revenue?

I thought the main use was ECS.

--