Old November 17th 03, 05:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Sam Sam is offline

Default The Real Underground Map

Thanks in part to the support of users of Google groups like this one,
the Real Underground flash animation is now accessible through the
tube's website:

http://tube.tfl.gov.uk/content/tubemap/default.asp

It's also been one of the most blogged sites of recent months, has
cropped up on undergraduate reading lists, design sites, and even been
published in a few academic journals!

So, if you've seen the site already, or emailed me asking about it,
thanks for your support. Hopefully the site will be up at the address
above for the forseeable future.

I'm currently looking at the possibilities of further development,
including putting in all the stations, and morphing through a series
of historical maps. Let me know if you have any suggestions!

In case you've not seen it before, it's an animation showing the
relationship between the tube map and the geographical reality. If
you're interested in design history, you can also see how it relates
to Beck's first classic schematic subway map of 1933.

Sam Rich
http://www.fourthway.co.uk

CMOT TMPV wrote in message et...
Once upon a time -- around about 10/19/03 14:58 --
possibly wrote:

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 09:25:10 GMT, "Richard J."
wrote:

Alan O'Brien wrote:
"Richard J." wrote in message
Alan O'Brien wrote:

If there are any more criticisms then the map is simply going to be
thrown into the dustbin.
OK?

You'd better tell that to the bloke that asked for a circular Circle
line, then.

Fair enough.
Actually, now I think about it, a rectangular Circle Line would be
easier. Alan

The Beck diagram had a rectangular Circle Line from 1954 to 1959.

Hey, Sam, how about changing the animation so it morphs from each
version of the map to the next?? Now that *would* be good! ;-)

I notice this same morphing map is posted on the tube's map page. It's been
there for quite some time and I've seen it before.

-- E