Old March 25th 08, 05:04 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Crossrail could bankrupt London - says Ken Livingstone

In message
, at
10:47:51 on Tue, 25 Mar 2008, Mizter T remarked:

The London 2012 Olympics will cost £18bn, is that essential?

Is it even correct? The bill for the infrastructure is £4.8bn

The total cost to the public purse is currently estimated at £9.325bn.

Of which 4.8bn is for the infrastructure, and only 6Bn is directly
attributable to the ODA. So where does the £18Bn come from??

Source- DCMS December 2007 press release:
http://www.culture.gov.uk/Reference_...archive_2007/d
cms_TJ-odabaselinebudget_10dec07.htm
or via http://tinyurl.com/3bp5dm

Is that any
less bankrupting then Crossrail?

An utter waste of money.

And there's an estimated £6Bn benefit, so I'm not as pessimistic as you
are.

Depends upon how you measure the various benefits of course, and the
difficulty of quantifying them in monetary terms.

They aren't going to bulldoze the stadiums and village, or undo the
public transport improvements. And some money will come from ticket
sales and TV rights, and the slightly less quantifiable "tourism"
aspect.

I remain a supporter of the 2012 Games, I think it'll do a lot of good
in a great many different ways.

I'm disappointed they aren't doing the rowing in Nottingham - I could
have walked to the venue!