Old March 25th 08, 05:14 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Graeme Wall Graeme Wall is offline

Default Crossrail could bankrupt London - says Ken Livingstone

In message
Mizter T wrote:

On 25 Mar, 16:59, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 16:36:51 on
Tue, 25 Mar 2008, Grumpy Old Man
remarked:

The London 2012 Olympics will cost £18bn, is that essential?

Is it even correct? The bill for the infrastructure is £4.8bn

The total cost to the public purse is currently estimated at £9.325bn.

Source- DCMS December 2007 press release:
http://www.culture.gov.uk/Reference_...et_10dec07.htm
or via http://tinyurl.com/3bp5dm

Is that any
less bankrupting then Crossrail?

An utter waste of money.

And there's an estimated £6Bn benefit, so I'm not as pessimistic as you
are.

Depends upon how you measure the various benefits of course, and the
difficulty of quantifying them in monetary terms.

I remain a supporter of the 2012 Games, I think it'll do a lot of good
in a great many different ways.

Well it will certainly help the pharmaceutical industry and the modern
equivalents of CMOT Dibbler but I'm not sure what good a celebration of
cheating and corruption is going to do.

--
Graeme Wall
This address is not read, substitute trains for rail.