Old March 25th 08, 11:11 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit
Mr Thant Mr Thant is offline

Default Crossrail could bankrupt London - says Ken Livingstone

On 25 Mar, 23:49, Tom Anderson wrote:
The Jubilee?

To Docklands. AIUI the Jubilee between London Bridge and North
Greenwich is already one of the most congested bits of the network.

True. All of which could be done without the tunnel, for a fraction of the
price.

And without increasing any capacity from the termini to where people
work/shop/go out/etc, which is the whole point of the current
iteration of the project.

Again, could be done without the tunnel.

And where do you plan to build the extra platforms at Paddington and
Liverpool Street?

Do we know how much of the budget is for this? My understanding was that
Oxford Circus wasn't going to be rebuilt; the Crossrail station would be
essentialy separate. It thus has a slightly marginal effect on
overcrowding - the people relieved onto Crossrail will no longer be
clogging the place up, but plenty of other people will. No idea about TCR.

Slightly marginal? The two Crossrail stations adjacent to Oxford
Circus will have enormous entrances at the ends nearest to it, exactly
to attract the crowds away without overcrowding the actual Oxford
Circus area. In theory at least they're hoping to attract away a lot
more passengers.

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London