Old March 26th 08, 05:43 PM posted to misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default Crossrail could bankrupt London - says Ken Livingstone

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008, John B wrote:

On 26 Mar, 11:50, Graeme Wall wrote:

Generally, you don't have to know the local language to buy something,
gestures of yes and no, indicating numbers by figures or the amount of
money would be enough.

And speaking some other language than German might be an advantage
when the sales personnel originates from a country whose language you
master.

As for your last paragraph, I speak rather less Turkish than German.

Oddly enough, I've just successfully purchased six months' supply of
contact lenses [at 1/3 of UK opticians' prices for the same brand made
in the same US factory. Can we wind up that cartel next please?], some
groceries and toiletries, and a toasted sandwich - all from people who
speak Turkish and no English.

What was in the sandwich?

tom

--
GOLDIE LOOKIN' CHAIN [...] will ultimately make all other forms of music
both redundant and unnecessary -- NTK