Old March 26th 08, 10:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,rec.travel.europe
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Car rental return location with easy London, St Pancras transfer?

On 26 Mar, 23:02, "Graham Harrison"
wrote:

"Rupert Candy" wrote:

On Mar 26, 6:55 pm, Mizter T wrote:

On 26 Mar, 18:28, "Lüko Willms" wrote:

Am Wed, 26 Mar 2008 17:32:48 UTC, schrieb "Graham Harrison"
auf uk.railway :

Unless you can find a rental office actually at St Pancras

how about at Ebbsfleet...

You know, I don't actually think there are any car rental facilities
at Ebbsfleet, not yet at least. Perhaps there's somewhere in
Northfleet, the adjacent town. I'm sure they'll be somewhere in
Gravesend.

Ah, I knew my visit would be useful! There's an Avis office just
inside the door at Ebbsfleet.

For the information of the OP in California, Ebbsfleet is on the South East
fringe of London. It is a new station that has been built to be served by
Eurostar trains and to allow people not to have to go into the centre of
London. To get there from Cookham you would go through Maidenhead to the
M4 and head in the direction of London until you got to the M25. You would
follow the M25 anti-clockwise (it runs around London) as far as the A2 and
then follow that away from London - on a Sunday morning a bit more than one
hour. http://www.eurostar.com/UK/uk/leisur...n/at_the_stati...

Two things.

(1) If I was making a journey from Cookham to Ebbsfleet I certainly
wouldn't automatically default to going round the M25, it really is
the long way round. On a sunday morning in particular the traffic
through London is going to be lighter.

(2) I don't really think I'd recommend this option to the OP. If he
wanted to drop his hire car off before getting the Eurostar I'd
suggest doing it somewhere in central London, or at Heathrow if he was
going via there first.