Old March 27th 08, 06:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default Crossing London tube tracks

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 10:50:23 -0700 (PDT) someone who may be
this:-

Nice try. I have removed one group.

It is very easy to find oneself on a tube platform with a group of
potential assailants positioned between oneself and the exit.

Anyone could be a potential assailant. There are many situations
where one could be a long way from an exit with people ("potential
assailants") between one and the exit, so the fact that the tube has
been picked on is interesting.

In such
situations the only means of escape, should the group turn hostile,
would be across the tracks to the neighbouring platform.

Tube stations seldom have adjacent platforms which one could cross
the line to. That is because tube stations are in tube tunnels. Even
if there was an adjacent platform one would have to cross the
suicide pit to reach it.

You are perhaps trolling about the "surface" lines, which are not on
the surface but are just under the surface and are built like above
ground railways. Higher platforms, generally adjacent platforms and
no suicide pits. I will assume that this is what you are trolling
about.

What is the recommended method of crossing tracks in these situations?

It is recommended not to cross the line. Not all advice is good, but
this is.

There seem to be a variable number of rails making up the tracks,
usually about 5.

Usually four, though five may exist in a few places for a short
distance to provide an overlap when the outside rail crosses from
one side to the other.

Which of these are 'live'?

All of them. The voltage in each of them varies however. There are
clues to which are at the highest voltage with respect to the ground
should one look with open eyes.

Will stepping on a live rail result in immediate death?

Immediate death would be a blessing. However, the power supplies
involved in such rails tend not to cause immediate death, but
instead generally cause a slow roasting. I doubt very much that it
is a pleasant way to die. Only in films do people die in a shower of
sparks when they make contact with such rails.

What is the safe distance from a live rail?

There are clues for those who observe with open eyes.

Is it safe to tread on a live rail
with only one foot with the other in the air, in order to avoid
earthing the current?

People may observe that the top of rails, where one would normally
tread, tends to be shiny and thus slippery. As a result anyone
treading on one is likely to slip off it and they may then damage
themselves in a number of ways.

Railway lines are places for people who have enough skill to
minimise the dangers they face. These dangers can never be reduced
to zero. Electricity is just one of these dangers, at least as
dangerous are the big things which run on wheels along the lines.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh