Old March 28th 08, 02:29 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Crossrail could bankrupt London - says Ken Livingstone

Sorry, I didn't respond to your second point in my first reply, hence
this second reply!

On 28 Mar, 14:22, Andy wrote:

On Mar 28, 12:54 pm, Mizter T wrote:

(snip)

I don't think it likely that Thameslink passengers from the south will
pass through London Bridge and go up to Farringdon for Crossrail
rather than changing to the Jubilee from London Bridge, though this
will certainly look like a good move for those coming from the
Wimbledon/Sutton loop (or other similar south London suburban start
points if the Thameslink service gets rejigged). Even if the
interchange at Farringdon is very easy,

(Apols - it appears I never finished my sentence above! I'll leave it
hanging - you get the gist.)

I wasn't really thinking of the Thameslink passengers from the
Brighton / Croydon - London mainline, who as you say have
alternatives. I was thinking of the Wimbledon / Sutton loop (or
wherever in the future) passengers. Farringdon is only be a few
minutes from Blackfriars and connections will certainly be easier to
Docklands than they currently for the non London Bridge Thameslink
passengers.

That's all very true. At the moment there really isn't a decent route
for such passengers - alight at Elephant & Castle then crammed
Northern line to London Bridge and change to the Jubilee is the most
obvious I suppose. Other more imaginative routes could involve walking
from Blackfriars to Bank for the DLR, though if you were to do that
you might as well walk (or even get the bus against the flow) from
Blackfriars to Southwark station (Jubilee), or walk or bus it from E&C
to Southwark.

Depending upon what happens to the Thameslink service pattern in south
London it could even take some of the strain off of the Northern and
Jubilee lines, other mainline services into London Bridge and
generally relieve London Bridge somewhat as an interchange point by
diverting Docklands-bound commuters up to Farringdon for interchange
with Crossrail.