Old March 28th 08, 06:03 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit
Paul Scott Paul Scott is offline

Default Crossrail could bankrupt London - says Ken Livingstone

Andy wrote:
On Mar 28, 3:50 pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

At the risk of going off at a slight tangent, are Thameslink
services on the Wimbledon loop constrained currently by the single
platform and bidirectional working at Wimbledon? Given the eventual
proposed Thameslink frequencies, will the decision to give a
platform over to Tramlink come to be regretted ?

Paul S

I think that there are constrained from getting much more frequent on
the Wimbledon to Sutton bit, due to the single platform. From memory,
services are approximately every 30 minutes around the loop in each
direction (even during the peak hours), giving 4 trains per hour
through the single platform. I suppose that the frequency could be
increased, but probably not to much more than every 15 minutes in each
direction without affecting reliability and pathing.

However (and I don't know if this is planned), there is the
terminating track at the north end of the platform where the Tramlink
platform is. This would allow a greater frequency on the Wimbledon -
Tooting - Thameslink route. There are a couple of trains that use this
already during the peak shoulders.

Thanks, presumably only 4 car trains though? I did notice the other day
that platform 10 still has the same stop markers as platform 9, for trains
arriving from the southwest through back to back buffer stops presumably!

Paul S