Old March 28th 08, 09:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Ian Jelf Ian Jelf is offline

Default Validity of Local Authority "Over 60s" free bus passes ?

In message .uk, Colin
Rosenstiel writes
In article ,
(Richard J.) wrote:

wrote:
Greetings all.
My father got his free Local Authority bus pass through the post just
the other day. Previously it was only valid on local buses in our
district but I hear that is will now be valid on all local buses
throughout England. Even though he lives in Bucks does this mean his
pass will be valid on London ( TFL) buses as well ?

Yes, from 1st April. Only on buses, though, not on the
Underground, DLR, Trams etc.

Are you sure about trams? They use Bus Zones.

Yes, the passes are only obliged to be accepted on buses and not on
other services.

However, when Mum's arrived a couple of weeks ago the (Centro) paperwork
accompanying it said in response to a Q&A about availability on trams
and Metro services elsewhere that it *might * be made available and to
"check locally".

Trams like Croydon, Midland Metro, Manchester Metrolink, T&W Metro and
so on seem unlikely to me to accept them. The one place I thought
*might* bend that rule would be Blackpool, where the tram is (forgive me
for this!) more of a "bus on rails". But it remains to be seen.

Anyway, I was surprised about the Centro answer; I thought it would be
a blanket "no".
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK