Old March 29th 08, 07:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Scott Paul Scott is offline

Default Validity of Local Authority "Over 60s" free bus passes ?

Richard J. wrote:
Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article ,
(Richard J.) wrote:

wrote:
Greetings all.
My father got his free Local Authority bus pass through the post
just the other day. Previously it was only valid on local buses in
our district but I hear that is will now be valid on all local
buses throughout England. Even though he lives in Bucks does this
mean his pass will be valid on London ( TFL) buses as well ?

Yes, from 1st April. Only on buses, though, not on the
Underground, DLR, Trams etc.

Are you sure about trams? They use Bus Zones.

Bus Zones in London haven't existed since 2004.

The info on the national bus pass scheme at direct.gov.uk says that
it gives free travel on local buses only. "Local authorities will
still be able to offer further benefits *to their residents*, but
these will only apply for travel in the local area and not anywhere
in England." I haven't seen anything on the TfL site about the
national scheme, so I'm assuming that the "bus only" rule applies to
non-London residents.

TfL's info is on their website under /tickets/freedom pass/national scheme,
but because the freedom pass is actually run by the London councils, there
is better info on their site Q&A at:

http://www.freedompass.org/questionsanswered.htm

Also interesting to see that the councils are at odds with Ken about the
Freedom Pass, which obviously isn't free to the councils, like the national
bus scheme, TfL companies still need paying:

http://www.londoncouncils.gov.uk/doc.asp?doc=20258

Paul S