Old March 29th 08, 04:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Heathrow's new Terminal 5 opens today

In message
, at
09:48:34 on Sat, 29 Mar 2008, martin
remarked:
What's an "open design" escalator, anyway; and where is the
presumably longer "not open design" escalator somewhere else in Europe?

I presume they mean it's not in a closed shaft, like Angel's is - this
one is in a very large atrium, with open space above and below.

There's a photo at http://flickr.com/photos/22819720@N02/2307578958/

There seems to be a lot of "going up and down" mentioned with respect to
T5. I understand they don't have the space to make it flat like
Stansted, but couldn't they have kept it more on one floor (one each for
arrivals and departures), like Gatwick North?