Old April 1st 08, 02:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Credit Cards

On 1 Apr, 14:57, Adrian wrote:

Mizter T (Mizter T ) gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying:

[...] We got the third degree in a Carrefour trying to use a UK Visa
card over Easter... And don't even go near French automated petrol
pumps... groan

I really can't see what was wrong with using a UK Visa card there - was
it a debit or credit card? I certainly can't recalls Carrefour being one
of these retailers that only accepts debit cards (and not credit cards),
nor do I think they impose a credit card surcharge.

Credit card. A couple of 'em, in fact - one UK Visa, one UK M/card. It
wasn't a _card_ issue so much as a policy issue. We were asked if they
were foreign cards - store security were called over to examine the
cards, our IDs and give an OK.

OK, that makes a bit more sense - even though it sounds a bit of a
silly policy. Then again perhaps this store had had several problems
with fraud and non-French credit/debit cards.

I'd have been a bit stuffed in a similar situation - I don't normally
carry around any specific ID documentation (driving licence, passport)
on my person.