Old April 2nd 08, 12:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Validity of Local Authority "Over 60s" free bus passes ?

Paul Scott wrote:

"Ian Jelf" wrote:

Yes, the passes are only obliged to be accepted on buses and not on other
services.

However, when Mum's arrived a couple of weeks ago the (Centro) paperwork
accompanying it said in response to a Q&A about availability on trams and
Metro services elsewhere that it *might * be made available and to "check
locally".

Trams like Croydon, Midland Metro, Manchester Metrolink, T&W Metro and so
on seem unlikely to me to accept them. The one place I thought *might*
bend that rule would be Blackpool, where the tram is (forgive me for
this!) more of a "bus on rails". But it remains to be seen.

Anyway, I was surprised about the Centro answer; I thought it would be a
blanket "no".

Nexus (T&W PTE) have a scheme where residents eligible for an over 60 or
Disabled national bus pass can have Metro & Rail travel for £12 per annum.
Seems a reasonable sum to cover the admin costs...

pedant mode on
Though it's really Metro only plus the Newcastle to Sunderland trains
(but AIUI Metro and rail tickets are interavailable on this route). It
doesn't cover the Newcastle to Blaydon via Metro Centre rail route.
pedant mode off

I agree it's a good deal, though IIRC previously 60+ residents (and I
guess the eligible disabled as well) of T&W got the Metro thrown in
for free so it's not quite a good a deal as it once was!