Old April 2nd 08, 08:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Credit Cards

On 2 Apr, 08:44, Roland Perry wrote:

In message
, at
07:11:32 on Tue, 1 Apr 2008, Mizter T remarked:

[...] We got the third degree in a Carrefour trying to use a UK Visa
card over Easter... And don't even go near French automated petrol
pumps... groan

I'd have been a bit stuffed in a similar situation - I don't normally
carry around any specific ID documentation (driving licence, passport)
on my person.

If you were in France I believe it's compulsory to carry ID.

I don't think it is actually, either for French citizens/residents or
for visiting foreigners.