Old April 2nd 08, 10:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Scott Paul Scott is offline

Default More Overground trains

Mizter T wrote:
On 1 Apr, 22:43, Paul Corfield wrote:

Seems like TfL have exercised all their options for Class 378s with
another 7 ordered.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/medi...ntre/7821.aspx

No idea how that relates to the "1300 extra carriages" but a 7-8 min
service on the core section of the NLL will be a pretty impressive
frequency.

Mr Thant's blog reckons the figures don't add up when you take into account
the earlier announcement for 4 extra trains, and now this 7 extra. Could
there be an element of double announcing (like what the DfT do)?

Not sure about the impact on the famous 1300 - other than that the redundant
313s are probably earmarked as 'new trains' for somewhere far away...

Excellent news, though to be honest given both the great popularity of
the NLL route and the copious potential for attracting more custom -
or indeed, perhaps I should say the significant level of currently
suppressed demand - I don't think this is anything more than what is
justified for the NLL.

The irrepressible Mr Thant has had a tip off about the new NLL service
patterns and shares his discoveries with us grateful mortals here on
this blog post:
http://londonconnections.blogspot.co...e-upgrade.html

Though whether the freight trains traversing the NLL are going to stop
failing so as to enable this frequency to be delivered is another
question! I dare say TfL is already piling the pressure on EWS, GBRf
et al to try and ensure their trains don't break down and cause log
jams.

Mr Thant (who I once wondered might have been a pseudonym of Mizter T - or
vice versa!) led me via his blog to this puzzling document on the ORR site,
which refers to the capacity of the old trains as 500 per car and the new as
667 per car. Which is pretty cozy...

http://www.rail-reg.gov.uk/upload/pd..._appendix7.pdf

Not to mention the beginner's mistake in the use of percentages - 6000 to
10672 is not a 178% rise is it?...

Paul S