Old April 2nd 08, 01:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Validity of Local Authority "Over 60s" free bus passes ?

In article 01c8945f$ff37a560$LocalHost@default, (Michael
R N Dolbear) wrote:

Joe Patrick wrote

Or too expensive. Which is what these Over 60 passes are. I am
appalled that my local services are going to have to be cut (and it's

going to be worse in seaside towns) to fund these passes which my
local council is going to be short by about £1 Million.

These are all estimates which may be right or wrong. Unless someone can
quote data from Scotland no one can do more than guess what the
increase in usage will be, still less whether the payment from HM
Treasury will cover it. The budget for my (Surrey) district for last
year was £43 per pass.

I think the global total is more likely to be right than the amounts to
individual councils. Unlike earlier bus pass schemes, the charges are now
to the councils in which the journeys start and not to the councils whose
residents are using the buses. The formula barely acknowledges that this
will shift costs quite dramatically towards a small number of authorities,
some with little capacity to absorb the government's miscalculations.

They either need to be scrapped, or introduced on a means tested
basis.

How long has the phase "got my bus pass" been in use ?

The enhancement is because Brown wants votes, but I assume that the
idea was that getting Seniors out and about is good for their health
plus the cash going to bus companies will slow the deterioration in
bus services outside London.

Something that is not happening everywhere, of course.

--
Colin Rosenstiel