Old April 3rd 08, 02:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Charles Ellson Charles Ellson is offline

Default Croxley Rail Link hits the sidings

On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 15:49:39 -0700 (PDT), Mr Thant
wrote:

On 2 Apr, 23:30, Tom Anderson wrote:
And heading north. I saw a mention of a branch that was built to the
Croxley printworks - is this it? Seems a bit mad that this railway built
two separate branches that went to almost the same place. No wonder they
went bust.

The London Railway Atlas* says the branch to the north goes to
"Croxley Mill", very near Croxley Green station.

(* You really should buy a copy)

The two branches (Rickmansworth and Croxley Green) were built by
different companies at different times. Rickmansworth was first in the
1860s by a local company and Croxley Green later by the LNWR using
part of the route to Rickmansworth (later re-used again for the DC
line from Watford Junction to Watford High Street and Croxley depot).
If I'm remembering the location of Croxley Mills correctly then it was
effectively just a siding built off an existing railway.