Old November 18th 03, 08:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london,alt.2600,sci.crypt
Neil Williams Neil Williams is offline

Default Security of Oyster Cards

On 18 Nov 2003 13:40:14 -0800, (Gareth
Davis) wrote:

Pretending you have a valid pass on a line where you know it will not
get scanned is the real weakness at the moment, and it is this that
makes the whole system a bit of a joke.

The solution to this, for the short term, is to issue a paper ticket
with the electronic one. For online transactions, this could be sent
through the post or maybe even collected from a ticket machine?

MK Metro issue a "validation receipt" from the bus ticket machine when
a pass is loaded onto one of their contact-type smartcards. This is
required when using one of the many Council-subsidised services not
operated by MK Metro on which the tickets are valid. (I do wonder,
out of interest, if MK Metro was involved in any research prior to
implementation - are there any other bus operators in the country
using a similar system, I wonder?)

Of course, this won't work for pay-as-you go - but before that can be
implemented for National Rail, there'll need to be as good as 100%
reader coverage anyway.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
is a valid email address, but is sent to /dev/null.