Old April 7th 08, 12:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default More Overground trains

On 2 Apr, 11:20, "Paul Scott" wrote:

Mizter T wrote:

(snip)

The irrepressible Mr Thant has had a tip off about the new NLL service
patterns and shares his discoveries with us grateful mortals here on
this blog post:
http://londonconnections.blogspot.co...don-line-upgra...

Though whether the freight trains traversing the NLL are going to stop
failing so as to enable this frequency to be delivered is another
question! I dare say TfL is already piling the pressure on EWS, GBRf
et al to try and ensure their trains don't break down and cause log
jams.

Mr Thant (who I once wondered might have been a pseudonym of Mizter T - or
vice versa!) led me via his blog to this puzzling document on the ORR site,
which refers to the capacity of the old trains as 500 per car and the new as
667 per car. Which is pretty cozy...

http://www.rail-reg.gov.uk/upload/pd..._appendix7.pdf

Longitudinal seating = more standing space thus more people in each
carriage. The current seating configuration of the 313 trains on the
NLL really isn't suitable - people here sometimes complain about
passengers preferring to stand and getting in the way rather than
parking themselves in a seat. However many passengers' journeys on the
NLL are short - the hassle of negotiating one's way past standees and
then legs and bags to a seat, just for the joy of making a reverse
upheaval just a few minutes later is evidently something many just
don't feel is worthwhile, and in large part I'd have to agree with
them.

And just for the record, U Thant is not a product of my imagination,
nor am I a product of his! The former secretary general is most
definitely a very distinct entity from myself, and I am just as in awe
of his prodigious output as everyone else is.

(Thinking about it, it might be wise for me to sign-off my infrequent
comments on his blog with some kind of disclaimer i.e. 'Mizter T not
Mr Thant' - otherwise I might find myself causing diplomatic ructions
ala [FYR] Macedonia's spat with Greece over Nato membership, and I'm
not sure how the experienced world statesman amongst us would be able
to help in mediation given the potential conflict of interest!)