Old April 7th 08, 01:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Scott Paul Scott is offline

Default More Overground trains

"Mizter T" wrote in message

On 2 Apr, 11:20, "Paul Scott" wrote:

Mr Thant led me via his blog to this puzzling document on the ORR site,
which refers to the capacity of the old trains as 500 per car and the new
as
667 per car. Which is pretty cozy...

http://www.rail-reg.gov.uk/upload/pd..._appendix7.pdf

Longitudinal seating = more standing space thus more people in each
carriage. The current seating configuration of the 313 trains on the
NLL really isn't suitable - people here sometimes complain about
passengers preferring to stand and getting in the way rather than
parking themselves in a seat. However many passengers' journeys on the
NLL are short - the hassle of negotiating one's way past standees and
then legs and bags to a seat, just for the joy of making a reverse
upheaval just a few minutes later is evidently something many just
don't feel is worthwhile, and in large part I'd have to agree with
them.

I was aware of the change to layout - it's the absolute numbers given, of
500 and 667 'per carriage' that I'm totally bemused by. The latter being
133% of the former - this _ratio_ seems reasonable enough to account for the
changed design.

However a current 313 carriage has about 70-80 seats - can they really take
another 420-430 standees?

Paul S