Old April 7th 08, 10:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default More Overground trains

On Mon, 7 Apr 2008, Paul Scott wrote:

"Mizter T" wrote in message

On 2 Apr, 11:20, "Paul Scott" wrote:

Mr Thant led me via his blog to this puzzling document on the ORR
site, which refers to the capacity of the old trains as 500 per car
and the new as 667 per car. Which is pretty cozy...

http://www.rail-reg.gov.uk/upload/pd..._appendix7.pdf

Longitudinal seating

I was aware of the change to layout - it's the absolute numbers given,
of 500 and 667 'per carriage' that I'm totally bemused by. The latter
being 133% of the former - this _ratio_ seems reasonable enough to
account for the changed design.

However a current 313 carriage has about 70-80 seats - can they really
take another 420-430 standees?

Gauge amelioration work on the NLL, primarily for the benefit of freight,
means that trains up to 16 metres tall will be able to run on the line.
Passengers will be provided with ladders, and expected to arrange
themselves vertically.

tom

--
I'm not quite sure how that works but I like it ...