Old November 18th 03, 10:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london,alt.2600,sci.crypt
Matthew Matthew is offline

Default Security of Oyster Cards

"Ernst Lippe" wrote in message ...
On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 03:47:35 +0000, Matthew wrote:

I am interested in the mechanics of these cards, which are smart cards
for use on London's transport system. One would hope given the
reported £1billion+ that they are secure.

Apparently they work using a form of RFID
very large snip

Given the fact that these cards are smart cards, I believe
that your speculations are wrong. I could not find any
technical information about the card, but I have some
experience with smart cards, so here are my speculations.

The cards are manufactured by Philips, and are described here
http://www.semiconductors.philips.co...nders/ebg0038/

Here is some interesting information regarding what is and isn't on
the card (all the information is stored on the chip) from
http://www.computerweekly.com/Article123251.htm

Monk added that memory capacity is a key benefit of the Oyster card.

"For example, the technology could offer discounts right across the
different modes of transport in London," he said. "Current magnetic
cards cannot provide the level of stored data that smartcards can."

He also expects to see a decline in the amount of travelcard-related
fraud and theft. "If someone steals an Oyster card we can deactivate
it immediately and they are left holding nothing more than a piece of
plastic."

Apparently the promised ability to recharge the card by telephone and
internet will operate in a rather inconvenient way (you will have to
make your way to specific stations, even if your card happens to be a
bus pass)

'Travellers can renew Travelcards on their Oyster card over the
telephone or using the internet. The ticket is automatically loaded
when the smartcard is touched on a dedicated card terminal at a Tube
station gate at a nominated station.'

It's difficult to see how something that operates in this way can hope
to replace cash fares, as it is more difficult to charge the card than
to even buy one of the current generation of magnetic cards (bus
passes and travel cards), which are currently available from
newsagents and other retailers, providing a convient service, as well
as revenue source for the retailers.