Old November 19th 03, 12:18 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Dave Arquati Dave Arquati is offline

Default 3D Tube map

Michael Johnson wrote:
I found an interesting take on the London Underground map on the web
today. It seems someone's had a go at making a 3D version, which shows
how the various lines pass over and under each other:

http://www.recenda.f9.co.uk/pages/tubemap.htm

It's probably fair to say that this version of the map wouldn't win
top marks for accuracy - he's got the Central line serving Hammersmith
in Map 1! - but it's an interesting idea.

To be fair I think that's because he has the Central line at a much
lower depth than the H&C so although it looks like it serves Hammersmith
in Map 1, that's just a quirk of a 2D representation of a 3D file.

Maps 2 & 3 show that it's not really showing Hammersmith.

There's clearly a bit of artistic licence at work to get around the
difficult bits, and he seems to be having major problems fitting some
of the interchange stations together with the lines, but I think this
is intended as an art project more than anything else.

An interesting variation of a familiar design, anyway...

--
Michael.

I wonder whether he used actual depth information or just guessed.
Either way it's an interesting concept. It would be great if he could
supply a VRML file so we could rotate it and view it in 3D ourselves.
Then maybe the next stage could be to model the relative platform
locations and hence the station layouts in 3D... big task!

(xposted to u.t.l)
--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7