Old April 10th 08, 09:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london
chunky munky chunky munky is offline

Default 2009 Stock loading gauge

On Apr 10, 12:16 am, Mizter T wrote:
On 9 Apr, 22:13, Tom Anderson wrote:

On Wed, 9 Apr 2008, Mr Thant wrote:
On 9 Apr, 15:47, Boltar wrote:

Is this true? It seems a strange thing to do. If it is , how much
larger are they?

Yes, it's true. They're a couple of inches taller and each train is a
few feet longer.

My understanding, based on things i've read about the JLE, is that the
speed at which a train can run is limited in part by the clearance between
the train and the tunnel wall - for aerodynamic as much as kinematic
reasons. Does this mean that the new obese Vic trains won't go as fast?

I thought one of the main benefits of the larger diameter the JLE
tunnels was that of ventilation and keeping the whole thing cooler?

Trains rarely need to leave their home line, though I have heard talk of
seeing if they can be squeezed down the Piccadilly Line.

Is there a connection to the West Anglia at Northumberland Park?
Presumably, even a chubby tube train is smaller than NR gauge. Don't know
if you could run to anywhere useful from there, though.

No connection whatsoever, nor am I aware that there ever has been. I'm
curious as to whether there were ever any suggestions of putting in a
connection when the line was being planned?

I don't think there'd be any problem finding the space to fit in a
connection, but I suppose it just wouldn't be worth the cost - easier
and cheaper to sort out any problems in the Piccadilly line tunnels to
allow these new Vic trains to pass through them en-route to the
Northumberland Park depot (see my post upthread which suggests that
the new stock *will* in fact be delivered by rail, not road).

Trials were carried out a few months back after close of traffic with
a 67TS with polystyrene strips on running on the Piccadilly to
Finsbury Park Victoria. I don't know the outcome though!