Old April 10th 08, 09:34 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Paul Scott Paul Scott is offline

Default Thameslink NGEMU procurement - now in motion

D7666 wrote:
On Apr 9, 8:50 pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

I suspect the 'public' shortening of the routes north of the Thames
can only be a matter of time

And somehting I think is for the better - the core TL route through
central London is too valuable a part of underground / overground /
tube / metro / whatever-you-wish-to-call-it to be anything else than a
high capacity all trains stopp all stations section.

I think they are still mistaken in having two versions of interior layout -
but at least they aren't likely to go ridiculous distances now...

Did you notice the bit in the 'Rolling Stock high level spec' that calls for
full ATO for the core route? Is that a first for main line commuter stock -
I guess they will do something similar with Crossrail...

They also seem seriously into reversionary modes to prevent obstruction of
the line:

~ The ability to move in a degraded mode despite a major onboard failure for
set distance corresponding to the maximum between defined refuge points
on the route where the train can be taken out of service;

~ The capability to push a failed train out of the core section;

~ The capability to move a short distance without the traction supply being
present;"

Obviously the last requirement is highly compatible with low weight...

Paul