Old April 10th 08, 11:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default 2009 Stock loading gauge

On 10 Apr, 12:33, Boltar wrote:
On Apr 10, 12:23 pm, "John Rowland"

wrote:
How primitive. Just because a train fits through once doesn't mean it will
fit through every time, especially with varying numbers of passengers in
varying distributions, and the new trains will have different suspension to
the old ones anyway. Has LU not heard of lasers and proximity sensors and
computer modelling?

But they're not going to run in passenger service on the piccadilly
and no doubt they'll be driven slowly anyway on the curvy bits.

I still fail to understand why they've given themselves this much
grief for a few inches of extra headroom. Its not vertical height
thats needed since anyone under about 6'2 doesn't have any problems
standing up anyway in a tube train , its greater width thats needed so
theres more room to move - or more room to squeeze more people in -
but I din't think an inch here or there would make a lot of difference
to that.

I think the new carriages are fitted with air fans (to assist in
circulating the air better) which takes up space.

If the new stock fits through the Piccadilly line then they haven't
really given themselves any extra grief, apart perhaps from just
having to drive the trains slowly through the Picc line tunnels. Given
that this isn't going to be a regular event then there's not really a
problem.