Old April 11th 08, 04:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Bus Information Signs

On 11 Apr, 17:20, MarkVarley - MVP
wrote:

I have no idea what they're called, the LED signs in some bus stops
that tell you how long the busses are supposed to be, my question is,
how do they work? how do they update?

A few times I've seen that my bus is due next in a couple of minutes
but it just doesn't arrive, several later busses come and then it
vanishes off the sign, abducted by aliens?

Then there are the times I've seen my bus is due in 10 minutes and
decided that instead of standing in the cold I'll walk to the next or
previous stop only for it to come sailing past when I'm mid-way
between stops.

And how many seconds are in a London Transport minute anyway? 90 at
least.

Obviously the system is not perfect (no system is) but if I knew what
made it tick I may be better equipped for getting around.

The system is called Countdown, and as part of the iBus project it is
set to become much more reliable and accurate.

Countdown:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/proj...ment/2369.aspx
or via http://tinyurl.com/4swhsj

iBus: