Old April 11th 08, 05:02 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Peter Masson Peter Masson is offline

Default Lords Cricket Ground disused tunnel

"Paul Scott" wrote in message
Colin McKenzie wrote:
Mr Thant wrote:
On 10 Apr, 19:25, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
Were Railtrack really able to make a permanent decision back then
that there would be no further rail use? I guess 10 years ago
another two platforms at Marylebone weren't on the agenda either...

It would appear there are three double track tunnels:
http://prints.leics.gov.uk/low.php?xp=media&xm=670835

Hmm. From a state of ignorance:
- how hard would it be to quadruple to Neasden?
I know there's spare space between the platforms at Wembley Stadium,
and IMO the potential traffic would justify quadrupling at least to
West Ruislip, if not to High Wycombe.
- are the two extra Marylebone platforms mentioned by Paul feasible?

They are already there - what I was noting was that the decision to sell

the
spare tunnel must have been taken well before the decision to provide more
capacity at Marylebone, ie the 2 recently opened. Just wondering aloud if
the sale would still have gone ahead if the 'Evergreen 2' improvements had
been agreed...

I suspect that it went to the BR Property Board, rather than to Railtrack,
at privatisation. I don't think there were any controls to stop BR Property
Board selling off assets, as they had been determined in BR days to be
irrelevant to the operational railway.

Peter