Old April 11th 08, 06:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Bus Information Signs

On Apr 11, 7:04*pm, Tom Anderson wrote:
On Fri, 11 Apr 2008, MIG wrote:
On Apr 11, 5:48*pm, Mizter T wrote:
On 11 Apr, 17:20, MarkVarley - MVP
wrote:

I have no idea what they're called, the LED signs in some bus stops
that tell you how long the busses are supposed to be, my question is,
how do they work? how do they update?

The system is called Countdown, and as part of the iBus project it is
set to become much more reliable and accurate.

I wonder if it means more reliable in terms of whether it breaks down
or reliable in terms of the content, which must be down to where the
locations of the bus-detectors rather than the system that passes
information to the punters.

The new system won't use bus detectors, it'll have a GPS unit on each bus
which radios its position back to base (by GPRS?). That gives it higher
resolution, and makes it impossible for a bus to fall off the system, as
they can now.

Ah right. That should definitely be an improvement, as long as the
right direction has been programmed in ...

Does the use of GPS have implications for Oyster and flat fares?