Old April 11th 08, 06:59 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Matthew Jones Matthew Jones is offline

Default Lords Cricket Ground disused tunnel

Paul Scott wrote:
They are already there - what I was noting was that the decision to sell the
spare tunnel must have been taken well before the decision to provide more
capacity at Marylebone, ie the 2 recently opened. Just wondering aloud if
the sale would still have gone ahead if the 'Evergreen 2' improvements had
been agreed...

Paul

I believe it is only part of the route which has multiple tunnels. I
would imagine they built more in the Lords area so as not to have to
disrupt Lords again. Although there are two tunnel entrances at the
Canfield Place end, the second tunnel mouth is only a mouth, I don't
think the tunnel was ever built. Certainly as the line crosses the WCML
there is no evidence of a second tunnel either side. To put track into
the extra Lords tunnels would require a very expensive additional tunnel
/ tunnels towards Finchley Road / Canfield Place. Past this area,
houses would need to be knocked down for extra track, as it is, one can
almost reach the houses if the window of the train was open!

--
Matthew P Jones
Amersham News & Views www.amersham.org.uk