Old April 11th 08, 11:30 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit
Adrian Adrian is offline

Default Lords Cricket Ground disused tunnel

On Apr 11, 4:03*pm, "Recliner" wrote:
"Colin McKenzie" wrote in message

Mr Thant wrote:
On 10 Apr, 19:25, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
Were Railtrack really able to make a permanent decision back then
that there would be no further rail use? *I guess 10 years ago
another two platforms at Marylebone weren't on the agenda either...

It would appear there are three double track tunnels:
http://prints.leics.gov.uk/low.php?xp=media&xm=670835

One is obviously still in use, and the other two must have been for
when there was a big freight operation at Marylebone.

I can't see any use for them now - you'd need more platforms at
Marylebone and a way of four tracking at least to Neasden.

Hmm. From a state of ignorance:
- how hard would it be to quadruple to Neasden?
I know there's spare space between the platforms at Wembley Stadium,
and IMO the potential traffic would justify quadrupling at least to
West Ruislip, if not to High Wycombe.

As I recall, Wembley and the two Sudbury stations were four-tracked (two
through lines, two platform lines), but there was only double track
between the stations. Re-instating that arrangement would make it easier
to have more stoppers at those three stations (not something Chiltern
favours), but wouldn't do much for the overall capacity.

All of which is true. However, the GCR did purchase enough land to
allow for future four tracking. How much of that land is still in
Network ownership I do not know.

It is certainly tragic that every passing loop between Marylebone and
Princes Risborough has been removed. In some cases the formation has
been occupied by new construction.

At some point the lost capacity is going to be needed again. So, much
of the erstwhile construction will have to be undone.