Old November 20th 03, 10:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Helen Deborah Vecht Helen Deborah Vecht is offline

Default Stag Lane Aerodrome

"Roger the cabin boy" typed

My other half used to work on the site of the old aerodrome which was turned
into a post office Telephone Exchange (many years ago - pre BT) and worked
there for sometime. In fact, before it closed I even went for a job there
myself ;-)

She also tells me that the reference with the Tiger Moth was reffered to on
the site afterwards with the social club bar being named the "Amy Johnson"
bar.

Of course its all been knocked down now but the "new" houses have an
aircraft design/look about them. Must go past one day.

The newish flats on De Havilland Road have wire sculptures of aeroplanes
on their fronts.

There is Amy Johnson Court on the north side of the Stag Lane/Mollison
way junction. It is a rather dull block of flats partly owned by the
London Borough of Harrow.

The new roads off De Havilland Road are Halford Close & Cobham close.
They did not feature on maps for a long time after being built.

Barnard House on Burnt Oak Broadway (east side) bears an informative plaque.

I am a Stag Lane inhabitant. My next-door neighbour moved into the house
when it was completed in 1932.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.