Old April 21st 08, 02:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Walter Briscoe Walter Briscoe is offline

Default Drivers protesting about a film

In message
of
Mon, 21 Apr 2008 04:03:17 in uk.transport.london, Boltar
writes
Seems some people have nothing better to do with their lives:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle3787873.ece

Perhaps soldiers or policemen or doctors or insert any profession you
can think of here should protest about any film which shows them in a
bad light or shows something distressing related to what they do.

B2003

That article has "Keith Norman, general secretary of Aslef (sic) [I
believe it ought to be ASLEF standing for Associated Society of
Locomotive Engineers and Firemen]" saying " ... Last year 249 bodies
ended up under trains. ..."

Can someone provide a reference to where he said so?
What is the origin of the figure?

Does that 249 refer to "Ones Under" on London Underground or nationally?
Where does the statistic come from? I failed to find 249 at
http://www.aslef.org.uk/s/search/101217/search/
I presume the incidence on those Jubilee platforms which have platform
edge doors is negligible. What does such a death cost? What would
platform edge doors cost?
I have always feared standing on LU platforms since watching Hitchcock's
39 Steps in which someone is pushed under an LU train.

I believe the Paris Métro used to have doors preventing platform access
when trains entered platforms. This feature presumably reduced dwell
time. I did not see it used when I last in Paris. What was it scrapped?
--
Walter Briscoe