Old April 21st 08, 05:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Boltar Boltar is offline

Default Central line to be converted to AC?

On 21 Apr, 18:30, Roland Perry wrote:
In message
, at
10:17:34 on Mon, 21 Apr 2008, John B remarked:

That's GBP1-1.5m per train, or GBP150-200k per carriage. Doesn't
sounds a million miles out...

For a couple of electric motors!!!!

About 10% of the cost of a new carriage to replace the whole drive
system? Sounds pretty reasonable to me...

Why "the whole drive system" ? I still think GBP50K for an electric
motor is a bit steep.

You can't run AC motors using electronics designed for a DC system.
Though why they feel the need to change the traction package on
perfectly servicable still fairly new trains is another matter. I
can't imagine them saving 100M in electricity bills before thr trains
are life expired.

B2003