Old April 21st 08, 10:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london
John B John B is offline

Default Central line to be converted to AC?

On Apr 21, 10:44 pm, Boltar wrote:
Basically, because the DC motors weren't very reliable in the first
place and are now apparently completely f***ed - the choice isn't
"leave them or replace with AC", it's "persuade someone to build new
obsolete-but-not-knackered DC motors or replace with AC".

If they're knackered already I wonder if they can get compensation
from the manufacturers (assuming they're still around) since I'm
pretty sure the design lifetime must have been lot more than 12 or so
years.

The trains were built by ABB/Adtranz (now Bombardier), but the
traction system was built by Brush. I've no idea how the legal
liability trail would work, or whether a court would hold that a 15-
year lifespan for the motors was unreasonable...

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org