Old April 22nd 08, 01:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Patrick Osborne Patrick Osborne is offline

Default Bakerloo Line 21st April 2008

On 22 Apr, 14:29, alex_t wrote:
Bakerloo is probably the worst line out of deep-level ones - old
stock, twisted tunnels, and no reversal points between Paddington and
Elephant & Castle.

As Boltar says, I thought there was one at Piccadilly Circus; I'm sure
I've seen the Bakerloo shut south of Piccadilly Circus before. This
was initially why I thought the train from Charing Cross was crawling
towards Piccadilly, that it was having to wait for a reversing train,
but the numbers of people waiting at Piccadilly didn't seem to bear
that out.

I'd imagine that it is very hard to regulate such
limited service (Paddington to Elephant & Castle) and probably in
opposite directions there was severe overcrowding.

Clearly it is, my question is why is it difficult? Admittedly I'm
looking at it from the layman's perspective (which is why I'm
asking!), but to my way of thinking, the signal fails, you switch onto
running from Paddington to E&C only. You see that on that stretch of
line there are, say, eight trains. You know it takes 20 minutes to
get between the two end points plus four mins to changeover. Which
means (I think) a train about every seven minutes in either
direction. But this wasn't happening.

Also due to
disruption been very early - it might have been that most trains did
not make it to the separated section from the depot...

Good point; I'm not sure how long before 0650 the line was closed
north of Paddington.

Like I said, not meaning to rant, and, unlike Boltar, I don't think
it's sheer bloody mindedness on the part of the staff. Just trying to
understand it all.

Patrick