Old April 22nd 08, 08:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Steve Steve is offline

Default Central line to be converted to AC?

On 21 Apr, 18:17, John B wrote:
On 21 Apr, 18:10, Roland Perry wrote:

That's GBP1-1.5m per train, or GBP150-200k per carriage. Doesn't
sounds a million miles out...

For a couple of electric motors!!!!

About 10% of the cost of a new carriage to replace the whole drive
system? Sounds pretty reasonable to me...

Are Underground carriages really about GBP 1.5m-2m? I thought recent-
ish DC electric surface stock (e.g. the 450s on SWT) came in at about
GBP 1m per carriage, and for that you get motors, brakes and
crashworthiness suitable for 100MPH running, aircon, PIS and toilets!

Steve Adams