Old April 22nd 08, 11:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
John B John B is offline

Default Cost of new rail carriages (was Central line to be converted toAC?)

On Apr 22, 9:57 pm, Steve wrote:
Are Underground carriages really about GBP 1.5m-2m? I thought recent-
ish DC electric surface stock (e.g. the 450s on SWT) came in at about
GBP 1m per carriage, and for that you get motors, brakes and
crashworthiness suitable for 100MPH running, aircon, PIS and toilets!

[x-posted to uk.railway]

Most recent "more or less for cash" order on the Tube is EUR149m with
Alstom for the 85 new cars on the Jubilee, so about GBP1.4m per car at
current rates (no idea what proportion of components are built in
Europe vs UK vs US$-linked-developing-countries, so actually GBP1-1.4m
depending on the ratio).

I thought we were running closer to GBP2m for mainline stock - one of
the railway magazines (I'd guess may have been Roger Ford, since it's
the kind of thing he'd do) had an interesting table a couple of years
ago on the subject, IIRC showing HEx stock at the most expensive at
around GBP3m per vehicle, but I can't find it online.

TfL's North London Railway upgrade seems to be running at GBP1.4m per
vehicle:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/medi...hive/3534.aspx

--
John Band