Old April 25th 08, 11:53 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Peter Masson Peter Masson is offline

Default The Thameslink Bermondsey grade-separation

"MIG" wrote

As for Greenwich, I can see the operational benefits but (as with
splitting the Northern Line) I do wonder if there is too much emphasis
on the flow of vehicles and not enough consideration for the journeys
of people. Changing at London Bridge is already a nightmare bordering
on dangerous at times.

Once the Thameslink project has happened, to get a Greenwich train to
Charing Cross would involllve crossing to the Thameslink lines at Spa Road,
presumably calling at the Thameslink platforms at London Bridge, then
crossing to the Charing Cross lines at Metropolitan Junction. As long as
there are Charing Cross trains from the North Kent line via Lewisham I think
on balance it is the right decision to send all Greenwich route trains to
Cannon Street, and make the comparatively small number of passengers from
Westcombe park to Deptford for Waterloo East and Charing Cross change at
London Bridge. AIUI the rebuilt London Bridge is being designed for the
number of people who will use it, and having two up Charing Cross platforms
will on its own be a tremendous advantage (See Bill Hayles' posts about
despatching slammers from this platform in the morning peak).

Peter