Old April 27th 08, 12:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default Best route Stansted Express - Turnham Green

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008, Jarle H Knudsen wrote:

What is the best route from Liverpool Street or Tottenham Hale to Turnham
Green, with luggage?

What does

http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/

have to say about it?

We arrive on Friday 23 May in the evening and leave again Saturday 31 May,
early morning. When should we start from Turnham Green to be at Stansted
Airport at about 0730?

Is that late and early enough that the Piccadilly line is calling at
Turnham Green?

Looking at the tube map, I can at see at least these options:

Tottenham Hale - Victoria - Turnham Green
Liverpool Street - Holborn - Hammersmith (cross platform) - Turnham Green
Liverpool Street - Notting Hill Gate - Earl's Court - Turnham Green
Liverpool Street - Edgware Road - Earl's Court - Turnham Green
Liverpool Street - Tower Hill - Turnham Green

I like the look of Tottenham Hale - Finsbury Park - Turnham Green, since
both the tube-tube changes are cross-platform. If the Picc isn't calling
at Turnham Green at the time, add a change at Hammersmith, also
cross-platform. It's no more changes than any of your routes, and fewer
than some.

Another option with only one non-cross-platform change would be Tottenham
Hale - Stratford - Mile End - Turnham Green. But that's getting a bit
mental. But also so close to being fully cross-platform - if only they'd
built the Temple Mills curve a bit further to the east ...

Is Stansted Express open return tickets + PAYG the cheapest fare?

Probably. I don't think there's any way to get a SX ticket with a
travelcard add-on.

tom

--
The major advances in civilization are processes that all but wreck the
societies in which they occur. -- Alfred North Whitehead