Old April 27th 08, 04:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J.[_2_] Richard J.[_2_] is offline

Default Best route Stansted Express - Turnham Green

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Sun, 27 Apr 2008, Roland Perry wrote:

In message .uk, at
15:23:00 on Sun, 27 Apr 2008, Colin Rosenstiel
remarked:
I can picture the escalators down to the Victoria Line. Are the
steps down fewer than would be required from bridge level to
[northbound NXEA] platform level?

Yes. There are steps down from the victoria Line ticket office
level to the Down Lea Valley platform.

Ah, so that doesn't make it step-free if you are emerging from the
tube and heading for Stansted?

So we need a different step-free route (says a member of the extreme
step-free club).

How about District and Circle via Liverpool St to Kings Cross, then
across the island platform to return to Liverpool St the same side as
the mainline trains?

Or change to Wimbleware at Earl's Court, and then to Circle or H&C at
Edgware Road? That avoids the doubling-back, which is inelegant, and
involves the same number of changes.

Don't wait until Edgware Road to change, as the Wimbleware train may
terminate at the westbound platform, which means a trip over the footbridge.
You can avoid the Wimbleware train altogether by doing Turnham Green to
Gloucester Road, then cross-platform to clockwise Circle Line which will
take you to Liverpool Street.

All this effort to avoid steps is a bit pointless for a journey starting at
Turnham Green, where there are 38 steps up to the platform. My own
preference would be a taxi/minicab from home to Hammersmith (Hammersmith &
City station), and the H&C from there to Liverpool Street (step-free at both
ends).
--
Richard J.