Old April 29th 08, 03:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london
asdf asdf is offline

Default DLR to Bethnal Green: Priced via Bank or Stratford?

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 03:25:08 -0700 (PDT), Mizter T wrote:

I don't know if you would. I think we've concluded before that you're
always charged based on your end points, regardless of where you touch
during your journey (within reason).

The basic point being that if an end-to-end journey is charged as via
zone 1 for any of its length (because one touches-in/out in zone 1
even on a standalone Oyster reader), the whole journey is then charged
on the basis of being via zone 1 and one is not refunded as if one did
not travel through zone 1. (There was a recent example of this from a
poster here that I'll try and dig up.)

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....0411f7139b6538

Anyway MIG has successfully piqued my interest enough to persuade me
to waste (yet) more of my money on conducting a few experiments, which
I will do in the not-too-distant future and then report back here.

What experiments are you planning? I'd be interested in making a
prediction on the outcome beforehand and seeing if my understanding of
the underlying system is correct.

I believe the charging extra for out-of-zone journeys only applies if
you don't have Z1 and the presumed route is via Z1.

OK, that kinda makes sense.

It makes no sense at all to me. Are you saying that, if you had a Z34
Travelcard, and travelled from Alperton to Preston Road (both in Z4
but presumed route via Z5), you wouldn't be charged an extension fare?