Old April 29th 08, 07:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london
James Farrar James Farrar is offline

Default Paddington Barriers

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 12:00:17 -0700 (PDT), Mizter T
wrote:

On 29 Apr, 19:41, James Farrar wrote:

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 18:20:57 GMT, wrote:

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 11:32:25 +0100, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

Any sign of these being used yet?

I saw a report elsewhere that a couple of dozen were supposed to have been
brought into use yesterday...

Yes, Wednesday AM and Saturday AM to my certain knowledge.

When I passed through there one morning last week the barriers were in
use but the Oyster targets weren't (and the range on the handheld
reader the man by the wide gate had was pathetic - I had to take the
card out of its wallet!)

The Oyster readers on the gates weren't working - that is properly
absurd!

I've never had any problems with ticket inspectors scanning my Oyster
card with their handheld readers before, perhaps he just wasn't used
to doing it. Out of interest was it a small blue device, about the
size of a calculator, or was it something larger?

It was the small blue one. He got a red light with the card in my
wallet (this happens occasionally) and with it just in its wallet
(this has never happened before)! It was only when he put the reader
directly on the card itself that he got a green light.