Old May 2nd 08, 08:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default If Boris does win as now expected

On Fri, 2 May 2008 13:02:28 -0700 (PDT), Solario
wrote:

On May 2, 12:49*pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
...what might be the effect on TfL's ability to press on with all the major
projects, given that Ken seems so much of a motivator?

My guess is that those which are contractually committed will continue
e.g. ELLX and DLR. I'm much less certain about Crossrail as I expect
someone, somewhere will seek to reopen the funding package in order to
exert some leverage. I wouldn't be surprised to see Superlink try again
- Mr Schabas posted something in response to a recent article in the
Standard.

I certainly doubt the DfT will give Boris ELLX Phase 2 on a plate and I
expect the Southern franchise "split" will stop dead in its tracks too.
There are already dire reports emerging about its attractiveness to the
private sector anyway due to the impact of Thameslink project
disruption. Why would DfT want to fund Ken's spec for Inner London
services if he's not around any more? Why would Boris want to spend the
money either given he's all about value for money (i.e. cuts) rather
than the output in terms of better service.

The real issues that bother me are funding for Metronet once within TfL
and just what work will go ahead and also the future of the bus network.
The utter nonsense of Boris's bus policy could result in hundreds of
millions of pounds being wasted on achieving next to nothing. I'd much
rather that what money there is is spent on improving the network. The
other shock people will get is bus cutbacks in West London if Boris
scraps the westward CC zone and also the next fares revision. I don't
recall hearing a word about Boris's policies on LU and Bus fares -
prepare to be shocked come January next year.

Probably not good.

What I want to know is how a county, OK region, of seven million
people could have such an abysmal choice of candidates?

I'm actually more disappointed at what an utterly dreadful, lacklustre
and irrelevant campaign it was. Very little of substance or importance
was discussed (IMO) and I had 3 leaflets through my door and no
canvassers at all. They all deserve a bloody great big kick up the
arse if they think they can get away with a few soundbites and photos in
the Standard as the sum total of their involvement with voters who have
to go to work for a living.

--
Paul C