Old May 2nd 08, 08:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Scott Paul Scott is offline

Default If Boris does win as now expected

Paul Corfield wrote:
On Fri, 2 May 2008 13:02:28 -0700 (PDT), Solario
wrote:

On May 2, 12:49 pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
...what might be the effect on TfL's ability to press on with all
the major projects, given that Ken seems so much of a motivator?

My guess is that those which are contractually committed will continue
e.g. ELLX and DLR. I'm much less certain about Crossrail as I expect
someone, somewhere will seek to reopen the funding package in order to
exert some leverage. I wouldn't be surprised to see Superlink try
again - Mr Schabas posted something in response to a recent article
in the Standard.

I certainly doubt the DfT will give Boris ELLX Phase 2 on a plate and
I expect the Southern franchise "split" will stop dead in its tracks
too. There are already dire reports emerging about its attractiveness
to the private sector anyway due to the impact of Thameslink project
disruption. Why would DfT want to fund Ken's spec for Inner London
services if he's not around any more? Why would Boris want to spend
the money either given he's all about value for money (i.e. cuts)
rather than the output in terms of better service.

The real issues that bother me are funding for Metronet once within
TfL and just what work will go ahead and also the future of the bus
network. The utter nonsense of Boris's bus policy could result in
hundreds of millions of pounds being wasted on achieving next to
nothing. I'd much rather that what money there is is spent on
improving the network. The other shock people will get is bus
cutbacks in West London if Boris scraps the westward CC zone and also
the next fares revision. I don't recall hearing a word about Boris's
policies on LU and Bus fares - prepare to be shocked come January
next year.

I guess a lot depends on the small number of permanent staff at the GLA, and
the transport commisioner etc. They'll need to brief Boris on the facts of
all the projects - just like when Government changes and all the manifesto
proposals get 'calmed down' by the civil service. I was also thinking
though of the treasury tightening the purse strings - National Government
aren't renowned for flashing the cash in the 'blue' parts of the country are
they...

Paul S