Old May 3rd 08, 04:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Ian Jelf Ian Jelf is offline

Default If Boris does win as now expected

In message , Paul Scott
writes
...what might be the effect on TfL's ability to press on with all the major
projects, given that Ken seems so much of a motivator?

I'm about to leave to work in London for three days. I'm looking
forward to riding on Low Floor Routemasters by Monday! ;-)

Seriously, I find the news deeply depressing. The greatest flowering
of public transport in London since the days of Lord Ashfield, Frank
Pick and Charles Holden is perhaps coming to an end.

I always wished that Ken hadn't rejoined the Labour Party. His
personal win the first time, seeing off all the party candidates, gave
him a sense of neutrality in my book. This time, Boris hasn't "won"
this election and - unusually - Ken hasn't "lost" it. The government
has lost it and because of his (vague!) association with them, they've
taken Ken down with them.

If Boris turns out to be the best thing that's every happened to London
then no-one will be more pleased than me and I consent to having my face
liberally applied with egg for what I've just written.

But I doubt that will happen.
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK