Old November 21st 03, 10:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london
J. Chisholm J. Chisholm is offline

Default Road Sign Font

John Rowland wrote:

"Robin May" wrote in message
. 1.4...

Why is it that British transport systems have such good fonts?

Because they are designed to be read from a distance while moving, so font
legibility is more important in transport than in any other product.

A committee was set up in in late 50's or early 60's to examine signing
(Warboys Committee). I remember lots of experimental signs in
Oxfordshire.
Results include:
Use of mainly 'lowercase' as easier to read (old signs were all
capitals).
A defined 'x' height according to speed of road.
'Heavy' type used for dark background.
Adoption of continental pictorial signs for many warning and mandatory
signs.
( I've still got a pre 'Warboys' highway code containing all the old
signs.

Who said Government Committees were a waste of time?

Jim Chisholm