Old May 5th 08, 09:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J.[_2_] Richard J.[_2_] is offline

Default Heathrow T5 and T4 tube trains

wrote:
I am puzzled as to why, when on a train for Heathrow, passengers are
advised to "get of and change" at Hounslow West station if they are on
a T5 train and want T4, and like wise if on a T4 train and want T5.
Why not ask them to change trains at Hatton Cross station?
This is nearer to Heathrow and has the advantage that in the event of
a failure on the tube service, there are many buses available at that
station for the airport terminals.

Yes, it's daft. The PA system on the trains is set up to give an
announcement soon after leaving Hounslow West. This gives passengers plenty
of time to understand whether they need to change at Hatton Cross, and if so
to gather their bags on arrival there and make a prompt exit from the train.
By making the announcement from the platform at Hounslow West, passengers
are presented with an instant and unexpected requirement to change there,
which is not a friendly thing to do and is liable to lead to longer dwell
times at Hounslow West. The platform staff think it's daft too, but they've
been told to make the announcements apparently.

--
Richard J.